Monday, August 3, 2009

Recovering

Last week was very hard working week. I took a project, redesigning a network with around 300 users. Some of the points - active directory had to be troubleshooted, baselined and proposal for changes had to be made. While the project schedule was proposed duration of about a month (at least) there was misunderstanding on the customer side and we had to put 90% of the in last week. Well, while I keep myself very well organized in highly intensive work, it was very big challenge for me. I would never do such amount of work without any test period, but customer requested emergency work.
Ok, me and my colleague went on the place and started it. First we replaced and upgraded physical infrastructure for 2 days while we were preparing some of the servers with desired services. Then we took 2 additional days for installing server in public traffic space. Well, let say that we succeeded somehow for such short tine frame to establish the two separate DNS servers, ISA server, domain controller, exchange server, main router, remote switches, the backup router as well as to find and fix some errors made by customer during our work. I found out that project management is where we lack. We had strict path what to do, how to do, when to do it. Customer decide to join the work cycle and that was a big problem. Project should not be a time for teaching people what is ip address, what is firewall , what is nat etc. They have to know that. Anyway 4 days working for more than 15 hours everyday and 12 on the fifth, handling customer's interpersonal issues, dealing with people who are far far away from organizing their work, fuck off, dude. My entire project path was fucked up. Now I'm preparing some documents, according to the contract we signed with that customer, to resolve these issues and to put the project back in projected path, cause we are care about our work, we are proud of it and could not let any customer to fuck it out. Maybe some picture would be great to illustrate the picture of our working environment, but I don't think this is a good idea. Maybe next time.
I'm still recovering myself from this and seems that I will need much bigger vacation than I planned. We will see.

p.s.: Doesn't sound good, but I needed to let this out of me.

2 comments:

Leila Franca said...

Hey! I was missing you! I hope you get some rest.

Unknown said...

I hope too :) I have read missed posts about miniatures. Hungry for more :)